Virginia Beach Manslaughter Lawyer
How Many Years Do You Get for Voluntary & Involuntary Manslaughter?
In the State of Virginia, voluntary & involuntary manslaughter are class 5 felonies which are punishable by up to 10 years in prison or reduced sentencing of up to 1 year in prison and/or up to $2.5k in fines. However, sentencing will depend on the details of the offense as some offenses may incur enhanced penalties due to damage causaed by the convicted individual.
There is a very distinct difference between voluntary manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter in the eyes of the law:
- Voluntary manslaughter means that while the act was not premeditated there was intent to kill, the crime may be committed in the heat of passion preventing an individual from using discernment or judgment.
- Involuntary manslaughter occurs when an individual unintentionally takes the life of another person. This is normally caused by reckless or criminal actions, such as drunken driving.
At McCormack & McCormack, we understand that being accused of manslaughter can be emotionally distressing. We are here to help individuals fight against their charges of manslaughter. If you have been arrested for voluntary manslaughter but didn't intend the consequences of your actions, we may be able to help you reduce the charges.
When you work with one of our skilled Virginia Beach manslaughter lawyers, you can rest assured that we will build a strong defense for your case. Call our firm today at (888) 490-0876!
Proving Manslaughter in a Court of Law
To be charged with involuntary manslaughter, the prosecution must prove several factors:
- Your acts resulted in the death of another human being
- These actions were inherently dangerous or negligent
- You had knowledge that your actions were reckless and could threaten others' lives
If you have been wrongfully charged with any type of manslaughter, our Virginia Beach firm may be able to provide the legal defense you need. At McCormack & McCormack, we believe that every individual deserves fair legal representation. We work closely with our clients, gathering the evidence we need to create an effective and strong defense.
If you are facing the penalties of manslaughter, ensure that you have the proper legal team to back you up. Contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation. You can also fill out an online case evaluation to begin discussing your case.
McCormack & McCormack is proud to represent clients in and around Hampton Roads, including Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Suffolk, Hampton and Northampton and Accomack Counties on the Eastern Shore.